17 April 2005

London

Hi again,

I figured that the best way of starting my blog record would be by starting off with an account of my experience here in London, a place where I've lived for more than 5 months now.

I kinda like the description portrayed by the Lonely Planet. Hence, I've decided to copy and paste it over into my blog:

"London - the grand resonance of its very name suggests history and might. Its opportunities for entertainment by day and night go on and on and on. It's a city that exhilarates and intimidates, stimulates and irritates in equal measure, a grubby Monopoly board studded with stellar sights."

Yeap yeap - this paragraph sorta sums it all up pretty well, I believe. It fully captures the essence of what the city is really about - a melting pot of diverse cultures and backgrounds. One does not need to live here for long before being exposed to the various elements that are described above! I shall attempt to elaborate on each one of them as follows:

History and might are easily reflected in the city's majestic and classical buildings. One simply needs to make a simple trip to any museum or castle to be able to rewind the clocks back into the glory of the past.Entertainment is a breeze. I still recall asking my local friends here for suggestions on what to do during weekends (when I first arrived in London). And the simplest (and truest!) answer I've received is that it really boils down to what you're looking for. Popular hang-out spots abound - with beautiful parks (St James's being my personal favourite!), musicals, concerts, football matches, with pubs topping the list hands down.

The next beautiful thing I find about the city is the society and culture. In general, people here are far more outspoken and bold, as compared to the far-east. You'll find that the folks here are very forthcoming with their ideas and comments - even in the business environment. And it's really interesting to have the opportunity to mingle with people of different nationalities - including the Greeks, South Africans, Italians, Gibraltarians, and Nigerians (just to name a few!) Hey, I've even got friends who hail from Uruguay and Ukraine! How cool is that?

Monopoly Board. Ah... I'm sure many of us can recall our childhood days, playing Monopoly with our loved ones. Personally, I've yet to explore all the places on the board - although I'm pretty confident finding my way around places like Leicester Square, Regent St, Oxford St, May
fair, and King's Cross Station. One fine day, I'll plan a Monopoly trip around London - definitely armed with my trusty Digicam. Wait for my blog and pics, yeah?

Wow - guess this has been a pretty long blog! Hope you've enjoyed reading as much as I have writing it. Also, feel free to browse through some of my London pics in the following Webshots links:

http://community.webshots.com/user/hozoned4
http://community.webshots.com/user/hozoned2

Remember to bookmark this page! There'll be more great blogs to come! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home