19 April 2005

Les Choristes

Mention this film title to anyone and one of the most common responses you’ll come across is the question - “Is this another Mr Holland’s Opus?”

Yeap – I’ve just watched this show yesterday evening.

Yeap yeap – I stepped into the cinema thinking that this would be just like Mr Holland’s Opus.

And yeap yeap yeap – boy was I right! :)

Don’t get me wrong. I must say that I absolutely love watching these films about music teachers who help their students discover the wonderful and magical world of music. Other shows that have successfully used the similar formula include Music of My Heart and Sister Act. Hm… I believe I could even include The Sound of Music! And boy, did I love them all!

Well, what exactly makes these shows tick? Let’s just take a quick look at some of the common elements of these shows:

ACT 1
- Teacher arrives at new school
- Students dislike teacher
- Teacher stumbles across a talented student
- Teacher is inspired

ACT 2
- Teacher begins to teach music
- Students start off as a hopeless bunch (Hm... Typical!)
- Teacher is patient
- Students gradually respect Teacher

ACT 3
- Teacher has a bad boss who discourages music (Yes – this is always the case!)
- Teacher fights against bad boss (almost always winning – otherwise there won’t be a story)
- Bad boss threatens to cut funding

ACT 4
- Teacher and Students prepare for a fund-raising concert / competition
- Teacher and Students succeed / win
- Everybody lives happily ever after

Epilogue
- Teacher continues to teach music…...........................

Well then, do I see any aspiring directors out there? :)

3 Comments:

Blogger How Drama said...

I have not seen les choristes but it sounds more like Sister Act than Mr Holland's Opus.

20 April, 2005 07:58  
Blogger Ricky Foo said...

Yeah, I enjoyed the show too! I watched it early this year... Very inspiring.

Shows about teachers always excite me. I have a great passion to teach too - probably not music... but something else that can change the lives of people...

School of Rock is a great show too! The unconventional way that the 'teacher' used to teach music is really amazing... I'm very inspired by the show and "using special and new methods to teach" runs in my blood~

I'm applying to become an Outward Bound School (OBS) Instructor. Pay is low but I'll have the opportunity to teach kids and it's outdoor! Ha, pray for me ya~

21 April, 2005 03:54  
Blogger Hsin-hui said...

Haha, great to hear that you enjoyed watching the show!

Well, my tutor once told me that a teacher is neither a profession nor a vocation. It is a calling!

All the best in your application. Will definitely be praying for you that God will grant you your heart's desires. :)

24 April, 2005 09:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home