27 April 2005

Taking Stock (1st Milestone)

With the blink of an eye, I’ve been living in London for close to half a year! Gosh – that’s close to 16% of the time I have here (3 years). Time really flies when you’re having a good time.

I should really take some time to look back into the past 6 months and reflect on how I’ve spent my time here. Have I really learnt anything from being in England? Have I really gained what I hoped to achieve when I left the shores of Malaysia and Singapore not too long ago? And there’s the big question I often get from friends back home – “Have you changed?”

Truth be told, I can’t say that I have changed much in the recent months. I’m pretty much the same Hsin-hui that you know even before I came here - simple, fun-loving, and cheerful.

But I must say that life here in London has certainly been remarkably colourful. Yes – in every sense of the word. I’m certainly more well-travelled now, having been to places that I’ve never dreamed possible – including the majestic Swiss Alps, the mysterious Stonehenge, and other magnificent places like Paris (Boy, I just love the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre Museum), Cambridge, Oxford, Bath, Zurich, and Austria. Priceless memories from these trips will forever be etched in my mind. Among the most treasured moments I’ve had include the time when I was skiing down the Alpine slopes in Austria, absorbing the breathtaking view of the whole of Paris from the pinnacle of the Eiffel Tower, and bathing in the open-air hot springs in Switzerland while light snowflakes drizzled down from the sky above. Ah… what bliss…

I’ve also learnt the basics of cooking a reasonable meal. Previously, all I could ever whip-up in the kitchen was just a simple bowl of fried rice or instant noodles. Now, I have a certain measure of confidence to cook a variety of soup, pasta, curry, and other Chinese dishes. At least I wouldn’t feel lost if I was thrown into the kitchen and asked to prepare a meal. I must say that I actually rather enjoy cooking (although I may not be that good at it – yet!)

On another note, I really miss making music in my life. Sure, I’ve been to several fantastic musicals here in the West End – including Les Miserables, The Phantom of the Opera, and Cats. And after attending several services in Hillsongs London, I know that there is a calling for me to continue in my pursuit of making music. I really do not know what plans God has for me, but I can sense that it’s gonna be big! Huge! Boy, I truly thank the Lord for using my parents to plant the gift of music in me ever since I was young.

He’s given me a dream – a very big one. By His grace, I don’t just have a dream. Instead, I see it, and I hunger for it! And I’m confident that one day, this dream will come to pass. But what should I do to get closer to this dream? Hm… Perhaps I should get myself a guitar? How about a keyboard? Or maybe both? *Grinz*

We have all been fearfully and wonderfully made. And deep down within our inner recesses, there is this huge potential that is waiting to spring forth and shine to the people around us. One day, it will all come to pass – when our memories and fantasies converge as one.

“Twenty years from now, you’ll regret the things you didn’t do, rather than the things you did. So raise your sails, aim for the sky, and your ship might yet fly!” ~Mark Twain~

Hold on to your dreams, my friend, and continue to run this race with wisdom and courage. I’ll see you when you get there…

1 Comments:

Blogger HisEagle said...

SURPRISE!!! Hehe, dear bro, just drop by to say a big Hi!! ha, will read ur blog now! cheers!!! =)

28 April, 2005 12:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home