10 May 2005

Cambridge Ballroom Dancing

Just last Saturday, I made a trip up to Cambridge.

Well, it wasn’t the typical kind of tourist trip. Nopes… Believe it or not, I’m finally gonna have a ‘non-tourist’ weekend! Hahaha…. I was on my way up with Conrad and Rob to support a friend in the Oxford-Cambridge Ballroom Dancing Competition.

Felicia has been persistently rambling on and on about ballroom dancing, so I thought I should finally attend one just to see what it’s all about. And I have to admit that the sight of the couples all dressed up and dancing so elegantly really took my breath away. We witnessed several ballroom and latin dances – including waltz (my personal favourite!), quickstep, and jive. It was magnificent. According to Fely, we witnessed some of the finest couples in the whole of UK in action. Cool! Please click here for the photo galleries posted up by the Cambridge Dancesport Team.

Watching these couples in motion reminded me of the movie, Shall We Dance (starring Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez). Some of the more seasoned couples exuberated with confidence as they elegantly floated from one end of the floor to the other, while couples who were more amateurish showed eagerness to impress the judges. I’m glad to report that Fely and her partner (Alex) were among the more confident of the lot. Hee…

And the hall at St Ives was filled with the typical competitive atmosphere – with students simultaneously cheering “CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE!” or “OXFORD, OXFORD!” respectively. An innocent passer-by might be forgiven if he thought some reckless thugs in the hall were cheering “OXBRIDGE, OXBRIDGE!”. Haha.

Although Oxford emerged the overall champions for the Varsity match, Fely and her partner (Alex) came in tops in the intermediate tango, and were awarded the overall best couple for intermediate ballroom. Apparently, this is the first time they’ve ever won any awards in ballroom dancing. Congratulations on a job well done – you guys certainly deserve it after the months of effort that you’ve poured in! I’m sure this will be the first of many!

All the best!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home