18 May 2005

Charity Wristbands

They’re hip, they’re hot, and they rock!

Tony Blair wears them, and soccer stars like Ronaldo, Thierry Henry, and Ronaldinho wear them too.

Hmm… Now what exactly am I talking about?

Charity wristbands. Yeap - this is the latest craze to hit the whole of the UK and US. At a small cost of £1 each (yes - the money goes to Charity), they come in all colours with simple, touching yet powerful messages – each one representing a different message and charity group. And since they get snapped up as soon as they hit the shelves, they’re pretty hard to find – especially in good ol’ London.

Hence, when I was posted to a job in Horsham (approx 1 hr south of London), I wasted no time in combing through the town in search of charity shops to look for these colourful wristbands. And boy, it took up my entire lunch break – as the charity shops only sell one band each – in support of their adopted charity.

And I’m delighted to say that I’ve done pretty well – having secured up to three wristbands for myself. They’re as follows:


Help the Aged wristband – with the message: “Reach out with a HUG”
Here, HUG is the acronym for ‘Helping United Generations’


British Heart Foundation wristband – with the message: “Feel The Pulse”


Breast Cancer Foundation wristband – with the message:
“Support Knowledge Strength”
I bought this as a tribute to Kylie Minogue - wishing her a speedy recovery...

A quick search on Google for ‘Charity Wristbands’ will return you tonnes of other types of bands in the market – including anti-racism and tsunami relief. Well, I’m currently wearing the purple one (Reach out with a HUG), and you can bet that I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for other bands when I pass by charity shops!

2 Comments:

Blogger How Drama said...

craze has been going on for a while. Who started it? Lance Armstrong and his livestrong bands. http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/index_f.html

19 May, 2005 17:11  
Blogger Hsin-hui said...

Hee hee - that's true. Thanks for the info! :)

22 May, 2005 23:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home